Traveling With Your FORTEO
Your FORTEO Travel Bag is an important part of the FORTEO Starter Kit. You can use it for travel for up to 36 hours per device when the bag is kept at
room temperature conditions (77°F [25°C]). The travel bag is intended only for occasional use when traveling.
Your FORTEO Travel Bag
Your FORTEO Travel Bag Has Compartments for:
- Your FORTEO Storage Case
- 2 gel packs (included)
- Extra needles
Tips for Using the FORTEO Travel Bag:
- Your FORTEO Travel Bag is intended only for occasional use when traveling.
- Do not store the travel bag itself in the freezer or refrigerator. It is best to pack your travel bag right before you leave.
- Do not store the travel bag in a car trunk when driving.
- Temperatures above 77°F [25°C] may shorten the length of time your medication will be protected.
- Only use gel packs provided by Lilly. Call 1-800-LillyRx (1-800-545-5979) for replacements.
Preparing Gel Packs for Travel:
- Place 2 gel packs in freezer. Freeze until solid (if unable to freeze, refrigerate gel packs)
- NEVER FREEZE YOUR FORTEO DELIVERY DEVICE
Packing for Travel:
- Unzip travel bag
- Remove gel packs from freezer and insert into front and back gel pack compartments
- Remove storage case with the device inside from refrigerator
- Insert into delivery device compartment. Secure delivery device compartment cover
- Zip travel bag closed
Returning From Travel:
- Remove gel packs from travel bag and store in freezer
- Remove storage case with the device inside from travel bag and store in refrigerator
- DO NOT store the FORTEO Delivery Device in the freezer
If you follow these instructions, you can use the FORTEO Travel Bag for up to 36 hours of total travel time per device as long as the temperature outside the travel bag does not go above 77°F [25°C].
If you have questions about your specific travel plans, please call 1-800-LillyRx (1-800-545-5979) for more information.
Ongoing Patient Support
FORTEO Connect can support your progress and answer your questions when you're traveling. We're an entire team dedicated to helping you fight osteoporosis every day.
Traveling With FORTEO
Watch this video to learn how to travel with FORTEO.
To view this entire video, "Getting Started on FORTEO," click here.
The nurse educator and patient in this video are portrayed by actors.
- Your delivery device should be stored in a refrigerator between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C).
- Your FORTEO Travel Bag is intended for occasional use only. The time that the delivery device is out of the refrigerator should be minimized.
- Do not store the travel bag itself in the freezer or refrigerator. It is best to pack your travel bag immediately prior to leaving.
- Keep your travel bag with you while traveling. Do not pack the travel bag containing your delivery device in checked baggage when flying. Do not store the travel bag in a car trunk when driving.
- Extremely hot temperatures or using ice packs other than those originally provided with your travel bag may shorten the amount of time your FORTEO medication will be protected.
FORTEO and Airplane Travel
Given the safety regulations at many airports, you may be concerned about traveling by plane with your FORTEO supplies.
But you don't need to worry—it is your right to bring medically necessary supplies on board. Just follow the steps below:
- Before you travel, make sure you have a copy of your FORTEO prescription label tucked in your travel bag. You may be asked for this label by a Transportation Security Administration officer (TSA agent), to verify that the FORTEO Delivery Device and needles belong to you.
- Be sure your needles are sealed and not attached to your FORTEO Delivery Device; rather, store them in a separate compartment in your travel bag. (Airlines may not allow you to bring unsealed needles onto a plane.)
- Do not check your FORTEO Travel Bag with the rest of your checked luggage; instead, bring it with you onto the airplane as a carry-on. The temperature in the checked luggage area is not always controlled and may become too hot or cold. Also, keep your travel bag separate from the rest of your carry-on luggage as you pass through airport security, in order to avoid exposure to radiation.
- When you reach the security checkpoint, be sure to tell the security officers that you are carrying medication that you need to bring on board with you. They may request supporting documentation, such as a copy of your prescription label.
- Make sure you request that security officers inspect your travel bag by hand rather than putting it through the x-ray machine. Radiation from x-rays in the airport security scanner could potentially damage your FORTEO.
If you follow these steps, you should not experience any problems bringing your FORTEO medication through security and on board.
Due to changing security regulations, you should consult the TSA for the latest guidance in traveling with medicine and needles:
If traveling abroad with medications, refer to the for guidelines.
If you have any questions about your specific travel plans, please call 1-800-LillyRx
(1-800-545-5979) for more information.